Odyssey of the Mind
Information Meeting and Coaches Training
The information meeting and coaches training is scheduled for Saturday, September 8. Please arrive between 9:00-9:30am to enjoy some light refreshments. Meeting starts promptly at 9:30am.
Location: OPUSD District Office, Bungalow #104.
Odyssey of the Mind is an acclaimed international STEAM program that provides creative problem-solving opportunities for students from kindergarten through college. Team members apply their creativity to solve problems that range from building mechanical devices to presenting their own interpretation of literary classics.
Each year, OPUSD students have put their STEAM skills into action with the support of their parent coaches. They have placed highly at Regionals and gone to compete at the State level!
There are five categories of problems participants can solve:
- Vehicle: involves building vehicles of different sizes that must perform specified tasks.
- Technical: involves building “innovative contraptions.”
- Classics: incorporates knowledge of architecture, art, and literature.
- Structure: requires the designing and building of a structure using only balsa wood and glue, and competing to see which structure can hold the most weight.
- Performance: requires the team to act, sing, and/or dance based on a given theme.
Teams assemble early in the Fall! Parent coaches are needed!
Oak Park Education Foundation is the OPUSD’s Sponsor for this program.
Please reach out to OotM Parent Reps, Monica Chizzo and Samantha Kinkaid, at OOTMOPEF@gmail.com for further information.